Cluster Map
Monday, April 15, 2013
Reflection Seven
Today in my Special Needs in Education class, a young man named Josh came into speak with his parents and elementary school teacher. Josh was born deaf and now, at the age of 14, has a cochlear implant. The advancement of this technology amazes me. I am sure that one day I will come across a student with a hearing disability and will need to be prepared to accommodate them. One thing the parents talked about the teacher using was a microphone and a speaker. This way when the teacher had their back turned to josh, she still had the microphone clipped to their shirt with the speaker next to Josh. I think that with the advancement of technology and inclusion of it in the classroom, students with hearing disabilities have a better chance to become successful. I wonder what other ways technology in the classroom is used for the hearing impaired?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I remember Josh from when I took special needs. What impressed me the most was how well his cochlear implants work. Last year was the first time he had two implants instead of just one. We had fun testing out how well Josh can hear by having him close his eyes (so he couldn't read our lips) and whispering. It was amazing! He could pick up on almost all the things we said. Technology really has advanced itself pretty far.
ReplyDeleteI thought your post was very insightful to how it actually might be for teachers. We might need to use technology that we aren't particularily used to. It's something we'll just have to deal with.
I was in that class! it was so interesting to 'hear' is story(that was not meant to be a pun). I was intrigued that technology has advanced so far that the deaf can hear again if they have enough money to afford it. I love it! Just a few years ago if someone told me what happened to Josh I would not have believed it! Now it seems like it is something that should have happened a long time ago! Mind-boggling!
ReplyDelete