"Using Satellites to Track Wandering Students"
This kind of sounds like an article you would read in one of those crazy magazines that tell you about life found on other planets. But to tell you the truth, it is completely true. According to this article, teachers are now using GPS tracking devices to locate students while on field trips. With the invention of any product you know that it will have its pros and cons. Some teachers love using theses, especially for trips when they know the students will be off on their own. Some think that $200 for one is a good reason not to use them. Since this is a technology class, I would reflect on this article and say, WOW, how cool are these. As a teacher, loosing a child would be the worst feeling in the world...but it happens. I think that these wrist bands or lanyards are a great idea when out on field trips. I think that this is technology at its finest. I also know that this would make a teacher and maybe parents feel more comfortable with sending their child/students on trips. What are your opinions????
Here is the article:
http://www.educationworld.com/a_admin/admin/admin345.shtml
My first thoughts after reading the title is, "Wow, that's kind of creepy." Of course, I know I offer a different perspective as one who is training to be a secondary ed teacher. Were I in high school, I think I would be uncomfortable having someone track my every move. In elementary school, however, I can see its value. Thought I'm still wondering if it could potentially lead to lawsuits somehow...
ReplyDelete