Cluster Map


Friday, March 1, 2013

Reflection Four

i-Pads and Autism:

After watching the 60 Minutes video in class, I have a new interest in Autism and  have been sharing the information I gained with everyone. The video segment I was able to watch, gave me a great inside glimpse on how technology is helping children who have special needs. The video filmed mostly children who couldn't speak because of the severity of their autism. The children, because of the i-Pad, are now able to communicate at home and at school. Simple sentences like: I want bacon for breakfast, are now being communicated because of the i-Pad. The i-Pad was being used not only in the home but at school. The children could answer "yes" or "no" questions by hitting a simple button and could answer questions the teachers answered. One very interesting part of the video was about a little girl who was learning her numbers. In front of her were two pieces of paper with large printed numbers on each. The little girl had no interest in the "old fashion" way of learning the numbers, but as soon as the i-Pad was brought out, she was fully engaged and ready to learn.

I think that this is a great way for special need students to succeed in school. I am happy with the video and the outcome of the use for the i-Pad. As I reflect on this video watched in class, I hope that more technological ways are found to help students with special needs... especially because they are drawn to it.


1 comment:

  1. I think that this is a great innovation as well, it was inspirational to see that kids with autism can finally speak! I have also heard that technology and autism are linked in some way. Seattle is very technology infused and it has one of the highest rates of autism in the nation. It makes you wonder if they go hand in hand?

    ReplyDelete