Cluster Map


Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Week Two


Ted Talk

After watching my first Ted Talk, I can say that Sir Ken Robinson has some legitimate opinions about education.  What stood out to me the most were his views on the “Fast Food” concept of schooling.  A lot of times students are put through a system that will only prepare them for the next step or maybe the next test. I think instead, we should have a school system that engages and challenges children in more than just passing a grade or a test, (which will become boring after a while) and as a replacement, instill in them the excitement for knowledge and learning. We need to extract our student’s talents and use those as a source for teaching. Ken’s talk reminded me about Howard Gardner’s “Multiple Intelligence's  and the importance of recognizing each student’s individual strength’s and learning styles. This meaning…instead of the standardized school system we currently have, we need to make it more into a school system based around personalized learning.

It wasn't until I was in high school when I found my true talents. I believe that this is because the classes I took were, like Ken said, “feeding my spirit.” I am thankful for those teachers and professors that “treaded lightly”.

I wonder how I can revolutionize education using technology as a tool in my classroom with always keeping in mind the concept of treading lightly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment